Marcia Folland

In honor of NMF's upcoming 30th anniversary and National Philanthropy Month, we want to celebrate the contributions of our donors! We will be highlighting a donor a day for the month of November.

Please be sure to check the blog often to read about the wonderful stories of giving back to the northwest region. 


If you are interested in making a difference through the services of our community foundation, our development officers would be happy to assist you. Please contact Caryl Turnow or Lisa Peterson at 218-759-2057 to learn more.

Marcia Folland, Greenbush, MN 


I was introduced to philanthropy at a very early age.  It was seeing my parents give back their time and resources that resonated with me.  My father, who was the local banker, always gave back.   As a child, I gave of my time as a candy striper at the local nursing home and I was a girl scout.   

When I retired and returned home, I was introduced to NMF through Carolyn Eeg and I became involved with the Northwest Minnesota Women’s Fund.  I also served on the Greenbush Area Community Fund advisory committee, which really helped me understand what the Foundation does and the impact gifts make in the region.  One of the duties of a committee member is to select local grantees. A favorite project I recall was to the school for puppets with disabilities.  Through these puppets, students learned how to converse and be respectful of those disabled.


My parents also instilled in me the importance of saving.  I entrusted my assets to financial advisors whose good work has given me the opportunity to give.  Giving local is my primary goal and the Greenbush Area Community Fund is where I focus my giving!  I learned, through my work on the advisory committee, that any size gift when combined with others makes a difference.

“Giving is so much more than receiving, it’s such a happy feeling to gift. That is the best blessing you can receive - is if you can make a difference somehow.”



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frank and Marg Marvin

NMF Working to Address the Region's Child Care Needs

Peacemaker Resources Paves the Way for Lifelong Learning in the Classroom